Tuesday, October 3, 2017

Press Release - Andrew Guenther



PSYCHIC MALWARE 

The Hidden Danger of Looking

Andrew Guenther


One Day Event - Saturday October 7th, 2017 10AM to 8PM
Opening: 6PM - 8PM
524 West 19th Street, New York NY 10011



Andrew Guenther at Bureau Gasser

I have a habit of eating apples after dinner. I have around three or four every night. AG    


I can only recall a past where new paintings or photographs would stir excitement in my being and fill me with a sense of wonder. Much the opposite now, they are like a vacuum for feelings. Have I seen too much?
It’s as if every additional image is malware as it corrupts and infects my neuro-filing system. The new images battle for placement at the top of the stack. Older files pop up to challenge the new arrivals in the queue. If image tags describing content are indexed as duplicates, integral parts of the information from each may be blurred and eventually erased.
If every static image is a data delivery system then any and every image lives at the same level as the next. Advertisements, postcards, paintings, photographs all collapse into a dog-pile, numbing the art experience.



Andrew Guenther "Aware Now" 2009 synthetic polymer on canvas, 24 x 18 Inches

Aware Now, 2009, synthetic polymer on canvas, 24 x 18 Inches

In this one day exhibition, I will present three distinct but overlapping bodies of work. I have chosen a group of early figurative paintings painted between the years 2003-2006, tangential figurative abbreviations created between 2009-2016, and recent work in which I rethink ideas proposed in the years between 2001-2004. In the early figurative works, I envisioned a world where ideas good and evil are indistinguishable and beauty could only come from destruction. In the figurative works between 2009-2016 I entertain figurations in a very derivative way with consideration of works by other artists throughout art history. In the most recent work, I revisit themes of destruction and horror but add little to question the validity of the genre as a cultural tool for thoughtful investigation.

“How will I feel on Sunday? I will only know on Sunday.” 
                                                                                                                                     -AG

How will I feel on Sunday? I will only know on Sunday. Have I been corrupted?

In addition, two of the paintings included in the exhibition will only appear as reproductions. One is to scale and the other is much smaller. While one artwork takes up the same storage space of the original and the other is compressed. Sure, if you get close to the surface, you will see that neither of the artworks are painted but they contain the same visual data as the originals.

bureau gasser

524 West 19th Street, New York NY
                                                                                                                      Instagram @andrewguenth

No comments:

Post a Comment